As the days begin to get a little shorter, people head out of town for August vacations, and summer internships come to an end, this can only mean one thing: It’s almost time to go back to school. As many parents go to great lengths to make sure their children don’t want for anything, a number of retailers stand to benefit from increases sales, and it presents a timely investment opportunity as well.
One area in which stand to gain is in clothing retailers, as everyone wants a new wardrobe before they go back to school. JC Penny (JCP) is one company that hopes to recover from a freefall as they have recently revamped their business model. Beyond that, people are still on the lookout for value at every turn, and this presents and opportunity for the companies under Urban Outfitters’ (URBN), Gap (GPS) and TJX (TJX) among others. Although in recent years these brands have been in and out of vogue, they believe they are currently well positioned to present consumers with value opportunities.
While kids certainly want to look good come September, they also need notepads to write on and computers to type. Leading the field in this sector is Staples (SPLS), and they should be helped by the fact that about ninety percent of shoppers said they plan to spend as much if not more than they did last year on back-to-school supplies. More people also said that they plan to spend on more expensive items like computers than they have in the past. Staples, along with competitors like OfficeMax (OMX) and Office Depot (ODP), could profit off of these trends.
Business Section: Investment Ideas
Will you be spending the more on back-to-school than you did last September, and do you expect the rest of America to as well? We have assembled a list of some of the hottest back-to-school stocks worth keeping an eye on in the coming weeks. Use this to start your research.
Interactive Chart: Use the Compar-O-Matic to compare analyst ratings for the stocks mentioned below:
1. J. C. Penney Company, Inc. (JCP, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): J. C. Penney Company, Inc., through its subsidiary, J. C. Penney Corporation, Inc., operates department stores in the United States and Puerto Rico. Market cap at $4.68B, most recent closing price at $21.40.
6. Office Depot, Inc. (ODP, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Office Depot, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, supplies office products and services. Market cap at $462.63M, most recent closing price at $1.63.
Written by Dan Connelly
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- J. C. Penney Company, Inc. (JCP, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Gap Inc. (GPS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- The TJX Companies, Inc. (TJX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Staples, Inc. (SPLS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- OfficeMax Incorporated (OMX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Office Depot, Inc. (ODP, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.