Continual reports of electric cars failing tests or breaking down shortly after being sold brings to question the readiness of the electric car revolution. Pair that with the high price tags to cover the cost of manufacturing, and the conclusion seems to lead more toward a negative response. (STAY AHEAD OF THE CURVE: Follow Kapitall on Twitter)
Edmunds.com’s John O’Dell says, “It's going to be a slow slog. Maybe there's too much expectation of more and quicker success than might realistically be expected of a brand new technology."
According to Reuters, the Obama administration has been pushing to get 1 million battery-powered vehicles on the road by 2015. Research firm Lux Research estimates that the number will likely be lower than 200 thousand. These estimates and mishaps are not discouraging automakers, however, and many plan to launch electric vehicles, or EVs, to compete with the Nissan Leaf and Fisker Karma.
Klayman reports also that Henry Ford bought his wife at least two EVs in the early 1900s. The technology has existed for over a century, but analysts say that automakers have not succeeded in lowering production costs nor explaining and marketing the technology correctly. Even with rising gas prices, EVs are still having a difficult time taking off.
Business Section: Investing Ideas
Below is a list of automakers that produce or are designing and testing electric vehicles/hybrids. Do you think they can reduce the cost and market them well enough to get traction?
Interactive Chart: Use the Compar-O-Matic to compare analyst ratings for the stocks mentioned below:
List sorted by market cap.
2. Honda Motor Co., Ltd. (HMC, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the development, manufacture, and distribution of motorcycles, automobiles, and power products primarily in North America, Europe, and Asia. Market cap at $69.60B.
4. Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. (NSANY, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the manufacture and sale of automotive products, industrial machinery, and marine equipment primarily in Japan, North America, and Europe. Market cap at $42.92B.
(Written by Danny Guttridge)
Use Kapitall's Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall's tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Toyota Motor Corp. (TM, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. (HMC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Ford Motor Co. (F, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. (NSANY, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- General Motors Company (GM, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter