What happens when you combine speculation of a buyout with the release of a first-of-its-kind drug? Well for Arena Pharmaceuticals (ARNA) in the immediate term it has led to a spike in share price, but the longer term implications of these developments may not be so simple.
Rumors in investing circles began spreading earlier this week that the firm that specializes in biotech could be the target of a takeover by a larger pharmaceutical firm. Whether or not this speculation will amount to anything in the long term remains to be seen, but the rumors were enough to boost Arena’s share price twelve percent on Tuesday and another 3.4% in after-hours trading, only to drop back down to $8 per share in open trading hours. Thursday’s share prices are currently down 4.06% to $7.9, on par with Tuesday’s afternoon prices when the rallying began.
Interactive chart: Changes in share price:
Arena recently received approval from the Food and Drug Administration to sell this anti-obesity medicine. The drug is designed to assist the weight management of adults who experience chronic difficulty in this area and display a body mass index above 30. The company has already reached an agreement with the Japanese-based Eisai Inc. to market and distribute the drug in North and South America.
Considering the drug is the first of its kind, Arena is anticipated to garner as much as $65 million upon its release from Eisai, an attractive payday for any pharmaceutical company who is considering buying them out.
Business Section: Investment Ideas
How will the continued speculation of a takeover and the release of BELVIQ effect Arena’s share price in the coming days?
Listed below are the companies mentioned above along with a few competitors to help you start your research.
Interactive Chart: Use the Compar-O-Matic to compare analyst ratings for the stocks mentioned below:
1. Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (ARNA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Focuses on discovering, developing, and commercializing oral drugs in the therapeutic areas of cardiovascular, central nervous system, inflammatory, and metabolic diseases. Market cap at $1.B, most recent closing price at $8.26.
2. GlaxoSmithKline plc (GSK, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the discovery, development, manufacture, and marketing of pharmaceutical products, over the counter (OTC) medicines, and health-related consumer products worldwide. Market cap at $116.33B, most recent closing price at $46.67.
3. Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (AMLN, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, and delivers innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases. Market cap at $53.28B, most recent closing price at $31.73.
4. Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (BMY, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, and delivers innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases. Market cap at $53.28B, most recent closing price at $31.73.
5. VIVUS Inc. (VVUS, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the development and commercialization of therapeutic products for underserved markets in the United States. Market cap at $2.33B, most recent closing price at $23.24.
Written by Dan Connelly
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (ARNA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- GlaxoSmithKline plc (GSK, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (AMLN, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (BMY, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- VIVUS Inc. (VVUS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.