Summer is ending not with a bang, but with a thud, at least if when it comes to the movies. According to Wall Street Journal, box office sales dropped 2.8% from last year. Ticket sales totaled $4.28 billion.
Some of the box office movie hits for the summer are:
- “The Avengers” – $207.4 million opening weekend, $1.5 billion cumulative total
- “Expendables 2″
- “The Dark Knight Rises” – $433 million in domestic sales
Taken from IMDB.com, here is a complete list of the top-10 movies:
Meanwhile, “The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure,” – earned $448,000 over the holiday weekend, breaking the record for box office failure for a film opening on 2,000-2,500 screens. It cost approximately $60 million to make and market.
To trade the ups and down of box office successes, investors may look at the following companies:
1. Comcast Corporation (CMCSA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides entertainment, information, and communications products and services in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $89.72B, most recent closing price at $33.53. The company owns Universal Pictures. “Ted” earned $215.9 million domestically so far.
2. Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. (LGF, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the motion picture production and distribution, television programming and syndication, home entertainment, family entertainment, new channel platforms, and digital distribution activities. Market cap at $2.2B, most recent closing price at $15.22. Lions Gate released “The Possession” over the holiday weekend.
3. Time Warner Inc. (TWX, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a media and entertainment company in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $39.24B, most recent closing price at $41.35. Its Warner Brothers Picture divisions’ “Magic Mike” earned $113.2 million domestically to-date.
Related companies in the entertainment sector include:
6. Dish Network Corp. (DISH, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides direct broadcast satellite (DBS) subscription television services in the United States. Market cap at $13.98B, most recent closing price at $31.02.
7. Netflix, Inc. (NFLX, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides subscription based Internet services for TV shows and movies in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $3.11B, most recent closing price at $55.93. Netflix dropped 6.35% recently after Amazon made a deal to add Epix content.
To get a snapshot for each company, click on the company icon. To get more detailed fundamental information on any of the companies, open the snapshot and select “number cruncher.”
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Comcast Corporation (CMCSA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. (LGF, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Time Warner Inc. (TWX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Walt Disney Co. (DIS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- DIRECTV, Inc. (DTV, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Dish Network Corp. (DISH, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Netflix, Inc. (NFLX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Amazon.com (AMZN, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- General Electric (GE, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.