As the gaming sector continues to evolve to incorporate different content providers and devices, some companies are being left behind. Activision Blizzard (ATVI) is among the former, and if its second quarter earnings report is as positive as most analysts expect, the company will continue to be a leader in the field for some time to come.
The company currently receives four out of five stars from Motley Fool and an average rating of outperform. In fact, Motley Fool is so bullish on Activision that it declared it would lead the pack in “The Next Trillion-dollar Revolution.” Based on recent performance, such a statement is not radical. In the first quarter of this year the gross margin, operating margin, and net margin were up 100, 400, and 490 points, respectively.
Following a quarter in which games like Call of Duty and Skylanders: Giants, among others, showed positive sales, expectations for the second quarter earnings reports are high. According to average analyst estimates, the gaming industry leader’s revenues will grow nearly 19% and earnings per share will grow 20%. Twenty brokers have set an average price estimate of $15.54 with a low of $12.50.
Business Section: Investment Ideas
Activision Blizzard has favorably adjusted to its evolving industry, and the 73% of analysts who rate the stock as a buy is about fifteen percentage points higher than the average of its nearest competitors.
Below is a chart detailing how the firm has performed recently compared to the S&P 500 benchmark.
We have also compiled a list of Activision and its nearest competitors to help you start your research.
1. Activision Blizzard, Inc. (ATVI, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Publishes online, personal computer (PC), console, handheld, and mobile games of interactive entertainment worldwide. Market cap at $13.37B, most recent closing price at $11.93.
2. Electronic Arts Inc. (EA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, markets, publishes, and distributes game software and content for video game consoles, personal computers, mobile phones, tablets and electronic readers, hand held game players, and the Internet. Market cap at $3.5B, most recent closing price at $11.24.
3. Millennial Media Inc. (COOL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides interactive entertainment products primarily in the United States and Europe. Market cap at $73.21M, most recent closing price at $1.78.
4. Microsoft Corporation (MFST, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, licenses, and supports a range of software products and services for various computing devices worldwide. Market cap at $247.57B, most recent closing price at $29.50.
Written by Dan Connelly
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Activision Blizzard, Inc. (ATVI, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Electronic Arts Inc. (EA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Millennial Media Inc. (COOL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Microsoft Corporation (, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.