Solidoodle announced that it will be releasing a 3D printer for just $799. The product will be ready for shipping in January 2013. At a price-point lower than that offered by MakerBot, this model is in the prototyping phase.
Some facts about the Solidoodle 3:
- No built-in card slot
- Computer must be plugged into printer during entire process
- Calibration required
- There are 2,000 users for the product
- Maximum resolution of 0.1mm\
- 512 cubic inches of build space
Consumer interest in 3D printing is picking up steam. On the financial markets, 3D Systems (DDD) is trading at above $50 at the time of writing, close to a 52-week high. Stratasys Inc. (SSYS) is also trading at close to all-time highs. Autodesk, Inc. (ADSK) shares, which were range-bound between $30 and $35, is trading close to the upper-end of that range. Investors are enthusiastic for the prospects of Stratasys and 3D Systems: the price of profit is 52 and 37, respectively.
Quarterly sales are soaring for 3D Systems:
Given the low unit sales for Solidoole (around 1000 units), 3D printing for the consumer is for now, a novelty. The companies engaged in building 3D printing solutions for the industrial market will be the ones to watch.
Analysts are noticing 3D printer companies: JPMorgan upgraded the company to newutral, from underweight in mid-December. BB&T initiated a “buy” rating for 3D Systems in early-December 2012.
Business Section: Investing Ideas
Companies mentioned are:
1. Autodesk, Inc. (ADSK, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides design software and service solutions to customers in architecture, engineering, and construction; manufacturing; and digital media and entertainment industries. Market cap at $7.89B.
2. 3D Systems Corp. (DDD, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the design, development, manufacture, marketing, and servicing of 3D printers and related products, print materials, and services. Market cap at $2.89B.
3. Stratasys Inc. (SSYS, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the development, manufacture, and marketing of three dimensional (3D) printing, rapid prototyping (RP), and direct digital manufacturing (DDM) systems primarily in North America, Europe, and the Asia Pacific. Market cap at $1.64B.
Companies related to the 3D printing industry include:
4. Organovo Holdings Inc (ONVO, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): The Company has developed and is commercializing a platform technology for the generation of three-dimensional (3D) human tissues that can be employed in drug discovery and development, biological research, and as therapeutic implants for the treatment of damaged or degenerating tissues and organs.
Written by Chris Lau. To interact and discuss these picks or picks of your own with users, attach your watch list or portfolio in a message to your friends on Kapitall. To connect with users on the leaderboard: fromyour tool bar, select Get Connected -> Top Kaptallists.
Members on Kapitall earn free points, and even more points with every Kapitall Generation trade. These points may be redeemed at the Kapitall store.
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings