Over the last few years, Intel met or beat forecasts and improved margins each time. The negative outlook this time could mean a number of things:
1) Weak computer sales are due to the weak global economy, notably Europe and China
2) The PC market is facing sustained competition from the tablet market, marking a growing decline in PC sales
3) The weak outlook is temporary: Consumers are holding back purchases, waiting for Microsoft (MSFT) Windows 8 in the Fall.
In its news release, Intel said that revenue will be $13.2 billion. It previously guided $13.8 billion to $14.8 billion. Intel customers were reducing inventory in their supply chain.
Is this a trend you can play? Absolutely. Here are some ideas:
The warning hurt chip makers. Buying opportunity?
1. Intel Corporation (INTC, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of integrated circuits for computing and communications industries worldwide. Market cap at $116.02B, most recent closing price at $23.19.
2. Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as a semiconductor company in the United States, Japan, China, and Europe. Market cap at $2.75B, most recent closing price at $3.89. AMD is Intel’s main competitor, but has had difficulty matching Intel’s profit margins.
3. NVIDIA Corporation (NVDA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides visual computing, high performance computing, and mobile computing solutions that generate interactive graphics on various devices ranging from tablets and smart phones to notebooks and workstations. Market cap at $8.42B, most recent closing price at $13.59. The graphics maker relies on a strong PC market for the sales of its desktop graphics card.
Computer makers were also hurt after Intel’s warning. HP recovered somewhat:
5. Hewlett-Packard Company (HPQ, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Offers various products, technologies, software, solutions, and services to individual consumers and small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs), as well as to the government, health, and education sectors worldwide. Market cap at $35.47B, most recent closing price at $17.99. HP announced an all-in-one desktop called “Spectre.” The system will have a touchscreen and offered with either AMD or Intel options. Availability varies between October and November.
6. Dell Inc. (DELL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides integrated technology solutions in the information technology (IT) industry worldwide. Market cap at $18.46B, most recent closing price at $10.64. Dell’s XPS 13 will have Nuance’s Dragon Assistant software loaded on its ultra book.
The claim that the PC market is in permanent decline is not entirely true. Corporations will always need to refresh their computers, consumers still need laptops and desktops to work, and the new Windows 8 tablet/operating system brings renewed interest in them.
During the Intel Developer Forum, Intel introduced a miniature PC only 4” x 4” in size. Ultrabooks will have voice recognition software powered by Nuance Communications (NUAN). Finally, the next-generation processor will use 95% less power than Intel’s existing Ivy Bridge processor:
7. Nuance Communications, Inc. (NUAN, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides voice and language solutions for businesses and consumers worldwide. Market cap at $7.65B, most recent closing price at $24.86. Ultrabooks will have a beta of Dragon Assistant. Users will be able to load tasks like playing music or searching the web.
To interact and discuss these picks with users, attach your watch list or portfolio to your friends on Kapitall. Message the author. He is ranked sixth (by points) on the all-time leaderboard. The leaderboard is located on your score icon -> Leaderboard. Members on Kapitall earn free points, and even more points with every Kapitall Generation trade. These points may be redeemed at the Kapitall store
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Intel Corporation (INTC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- NVIDIA Corporation (NVDA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Micron Technology Inc. (MU, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Hewlett-Packard Company (HPQ, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Dell Inc. (DELL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Nuance Communications, Inc. (NUAN, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter
ABOUT KAPITALL WIRE
Kapitall Wire, which is not a broker/dealer, offers free cutting edge investing ideas, lively commentary and timely analysis of companies enhanced by interactive tools. And the Investing 101 section breaks complex concepts down to their basics, offering education to novices that doubles as a refresher course for more seasoned investors.
Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall Inc. Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC . Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.