Good news from the government could benefit these 5 stocks reporting earnings next week.
Stocks are up this morning, and the prognosis from most observers is that equities have been boosted by Janet Yellen's remarks that quantitative easing will have to stay in place "for some time" as the labor market improves.
Encouraging manufacturing data, as well growing confidence in the EU and China, have boosted the S&P 500 for its seventh consecutive quarterly gain.
Still, all eyes will be on the government this week. The Labor Department releases the joblessness numbers for March on April 4th.
In addition to providing clues to when QE will start winding down, the figure will provide insight into just how much the US recovery was hampered by a brutal winter.
Depending on where you stand, good news about the job numbers could have multiple different effects on your portfolio. It's possible that investors might be spooked at the premise of sooner interest rate hikes. It's also possible that strong employment data could boost confidence world-wide.
While the government is the focus of this week, next week will focus on the private sector: initial Q1 earnings reports from major American companies will be just as important as labor numbers. With what is by many accounts an overweight stock market, improved earnings will be essential to supporting higher stock prices, especially if bullish news pushes the market up even more.
We built a list of the companies that are reporting next week, including some major names like Alcoa (AA), JP Morgan (JPM) and Wells Fargo (WFC). We then screened these companies for who was rallying above their 20-day, 50-day, and 200-day averages. This indicates that the stock has strong momentum. Beating earnings expectations would likely support that momentum even more.
We were left with 5 companies on our list.
Click on the interactive chart to view data over time.
Will any of these stocks reporting earnings beat expectations? Use the list below to begin your analysis.
1. Alcoa, Inc. (AA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the production and management of aluminum, fabricated aluminum, and alumina. Market cap at $14.03B, most recent closing price at $12.87.
Earnings: April 8
2. Fastenal Company (FAST, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): The Company Is Engaged As A Wholesaler And Retailer Of Industrial And Construction Supplies. Market cap at $14.91B, most recent closing price at $49.30.
Earnings: April 11
Earnings: April 11
4. Constellation Brands Inc. (STZ, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Produces and markets alcoholic beverages primarily in the United States, Canada, and New Zealand. Market cap at $16.23B, most recent closing price at $84.97.
Earnings: April 9
5. Wells Fargo & Company (WFC, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides retail, commercial, and corporate banking services primarily in the United States. Market cap at $261.67B, most recent closing price at $49.74.
Earnings: April 11
(List compiled by James Dennin. Monthly returns sourced from Zacks Investment Research, all other data sourced from Finviz.)
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Alcoa, Inc.(AA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Fastenal Company(FAST, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.(JPM, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Constellation Brands Inc.(STZ, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Wells Fargo & Company(WFC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.