Looking for popular stocks with big potential upside? We created a list with this in mind by screening The Standard & Poor’s 500 index for names with bullish attention from company insiders and hedge funds.
Many analysts follow insider buying trends because, after all, insiders know more about their companies than anyone else. Their investment activity is closely monitored and can tell us a lot about where they feel the business is heading.
Here we look at insider buying as a percentage of the share float. Companies experiencing insider buying over the past six months provide an indicator that insiders think the stock is undervalued at current levels. Inversely, insider selling serves as a negative indicator.
Institutional investors are also known as “big money” investors. They manage large pools of money such as mutual funds and hedge funds. When they invest in stocks, they can invest hundreds of thousands of dollars or more at one time. These transactions, called “block trades,” can have a significant effect on share prices.
Because institutional investors handle such large amounts of money, it is easy enough to assume that the big money managers know more than the average investor. This is why these investors are also sometimes referred to as “smart money,” and why their trades are so closely followed.
Business Section: Investing Ideas
As a recap, these names are
- Listed on the S&P 500 index
- Seeing net instituional buying in the current quarter
- Seeing net insider buying in the past six months
We were left with 3 names, listed below in details. Use this list as a starting point for your own analysis.
Interactive Chart: Use the Compar-O-Matic to compare analyst ratings for the stocks mentioned below:
1. Forest Laboratories Inc. (FRX, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, manufactures, and sells branded and generic forms of ethical drug products. Market cap at $9.38B, most recent closing price at $35.30. Net institutional sales in the current quarter at -14.8M shares, which represents about 5.63% of the company’s float of 263.02M shares. Over the last six months, insiders were net buyers of 4,078,369 shares, which represents about 1.55% of the company’s 263.02M share float.
2. Republic Services, Inc. (RSG, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides nonhazardous solid waste collection, transfer, and disposal services in the United States. Market cap at $10.39B, most recent closing price at $28.44. Net institutional sales in the current quarter at -26.3M shares, which represents about 9.18% of the company’s float of 286.62M shares. Over the last six months, insiders were net buyers of 12,854,727 shares, which represents about 4.48% of the company’s 286.62M share float.
3. Tenet Healthcare Corp. (THC, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates acute care hospitals and related health care facilities. Market cap at $2.53B, most recent closing price at $24.30. Net institutional sales in the current quarter at -6.2M shares, which represents about 6.9% of the company’s float of 89.91M shares. Over the last six months, insiders were net buyers of 3,000,000 shares, which represents about 3.34% of the company’s 89.91M share float.
Written by Rebecca Lipman. Institutional data sourced from Fidelity, insider data sourced from Yahoo! Finance, all other data sourced from Finviz.
Use Kapitall’s Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad (click here for help): Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall’s tab navigation to browse through the data…
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Forest Laboratories Inc. (FRX, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Republic Services, Inc. (RSG, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Tenet Healthcare Corp. (THC, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter