As data usage continues to skyrocket, we found three mobile stocks to consider for 2014.
When telecom companies upgraded their networks to provide speedier data access for mobile phones, consumption of data doubled. According to at least one study, Americans consumed 74% more data this year compared to 2012.
Thanks also to the dominance of Apple's (APPL) iOS and Google’s (GOOG) Android, the demand for more data will clearly continue to rise. Carriers like AT&T (T) and Verizon (VZ) will continue to benefit, but behind the scenes, there are a number of companies investors should look at more closely as well.
Alcatel-Lucent (ALU) is up 237% in 2013, as investors anticipate the company will benefit from surging demand in data. The company reduced its costs throughout the year, and is pushing out lightradio Wi-Fi solutions, which could be highly lucrative.
That's because public Wi-Fi helps prevent smartphone users from reaching their data caps. That way Alcatel-Lucent can help providers offer secure wireless data connections for their customers without adding extra burden to the spectrum.
Shares of Nokia (NOK) were renewed and are also higher, after it sold its phone devices division to Microsoft (MSFT). Nokia will be flush with cash from the sale, gaining EUR 5.44 billion. The company acquired Siemens' (SI) stake in Nokia Siemens Networks in August 2013.
Click on the interactive charts below to view data over time.
Even though Cisco Systems is down from its August 2013 peak, its shares are still up 14.6% for 2013. Cisco supplies Wi-Fi equipment to carriers. This includes Wi-Fi access points and hotspot controllers. Any 3G/4G deployments will almost certainly benefit Cisco.
The company also makes dual-model cellular/Wi-Fi access points solutions. If carrier spending for Wi-Fi equipment increases by $8.5 billion as expected over the next five years, Cisco could also see a rebound in its shares.
Will 2014 bring more huge gains for these tech and mobile stocks? Use the list below to begin your own analysis.
1. Apple Inc. (AAPL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, manufactures, and markets PCs, mobile devices, and portable digital music players, and sells related software, services, and third-party digital applications. Market cap at $498.92B, most recent closing price at $560.09.
3. AT&T, Inc. (T, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides telecommunication services to consumers, businesses, and other service providers worldwide. Market cap at $185.43B, most recent closing price at $35.18.
5. Alcatel-Lucent, S.A. (ALU, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides products, solutions, and transformation services that deliver voice, data, and video communication services. Market cap at $10.18B, most recent closing price at $4.52.
7. Microsoft Corporation (MSFT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops, licenses, and supports a range of software products and services for various computing devices worldwide. Market cap at $311.30B, most recent closing price at $37.29.
8. Cisco Systems, Inc. (CSCO, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, manufactures, and sells Internet protocol (IP)-based networking and other products related to the communications and information technology industry worldwide. Market cap at $118.96B, most recent closing price at $22.02.
9. Juniper Networks, Inc. (JNPR, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, develops, and sells products and services that provide network infrastructure to create environments for the deployment of services and applications over a single network. Market cap at $11.38B, most recent closing price at $22.22.
(List compiled by Chris Lau, a Kapitall Contributor. All data sourced from Zacks Invesment Research except where indicated.)
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Apple Inc.(AAPL, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Google Inc.(GOOG, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- AT&T, Inc.(T, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Verizon Communications Inc.(VZ, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Alcatel-Lucent, S.A.(ALU, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Nokia Corporation(NOK, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Microsoft Corporation(MSFT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Cisco Systems, Inc.(CSCO, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Juniper Networks, Inc.(JNPR, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.