On Kapitall.Com, members are empowered to explore investing ideas based on fundamental criteria. To get started with an instant list of companies by characteristics, select:
1. Explore Stocks
2. Trader Radar
Trader Radar lists may be analyzed immediately or saved to the playground for regular analysis. There are 10 lists available. To read past coverage on the first three radar lists, click on link to read more:
Radar List: Down Momentum
The Kapitall-generated list of companies with “down momentum” is nearest their 52-week low. These companies happen to be characterized with an Average Price of Profit of 12 and an average 1-Year Return of negative 70%. Companies trading at near their annual low are generally a good start for value investors. Value investors tend to look for least-favored, least-watched companies trading at recent lows. These companies are coined “bargains.” They are unwanted, least-liked companies, often trading at a discount – and for right reason. Value investors should ask:
- Why is this company at a yearly low?
- Did the company sell-off recently? Is the share price decline an ongoing trend?
- Is the business model broken or is the setback temporary?
- Is there any litigation or fraud against the company?
If the business model is broken or there is fraud, investors should not proceed with following the company any further.
Value investors might be interested in these companies. The investors should expect a rebound will take place over the longer-term and will need patience.
Click play to view the return of these for 9 of these companies since 2011 (Kapitall compar-o-matic tool displays a maximum of 9 companies):
A word of caution: auto-generated stock lists are a starting point for investors to create watch lists. Investors may dig deeper, by running a company snapshot and a number cruncher. The number cruncher provides data on the financials and the SEC filings. These filings provide a past snapshot of company performance, but their easy availability on Kapitall give investors an edge. Few investors read SEC filings, so by reading them, you are well ahead of everyone else.
Business Section: Investing Ideas
The Low Risk Radar List represented 7 of the 17 sectors. The primary driver for stocks over the next few weeks will be quarterly earnings.
The 10 companies on the Kapitall list as of October 12 2012 are the following (sorted by POP) with a diversification score of 65%. Investors should pay attention to the earnings dates for these companies:
1. Molycorp, Inc. (MCP, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Focuses on the production and sale of rare earth oxides from stockpiled feedstocks in the western hemisphere. Market cap at $1.31B, most recent closing price at $10.78. Insiders bought 2.5 million shares in Molycorp at an average of $10. Its CEO bought 50,000 shares. Competition for rare metals from China is a challenge for Molycorp..
2. Hillshire Brands Company (HSH, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Formerly Sara Lee Corporation, IT is a meat-centric food solutions company. Market cap at $3.27B, most recent closing price at $26.82.
3. ITT Corporation (ITT, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, manufactures, and sells a range of engineered products, and provides related services worldwide. Market cap at $1.93B, most recent closing price at $20.85.
4. Rovi Corporation (ROVI, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides digital entertainment technology solutions for the discovery and management of entertainment content. Market cap at $1.58B, most recent closing price at $14.51.
5. Deckers Outdoor Corp. (DECK, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the design, production, marketing, and brand management of footwear and accessories for outdoor activities and everyday casual lifestyle use. Market cap at $1.35B, most recent closing price at $36.43.
6. Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc. (GMCR, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the specialty coffee and coffee maker business. Market cap at $3.46B, most recent closing price at $22.26. Green Mountain Coffees is a company hedge fund manager David Einhorn is bearish on. The short float (bearish position) on the company stood at 34.6% as of September 14 2012.
7. Alpha Natural Resources, Inc. (ANR, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the production, processing, and sale of coal in the United States. Market cap at $1.88B, most recent closing price at $8.55. Alpha Natural Resources received a downgrade by an analyst recently.
8. OGX Petroleo e Gas Participacoes SA (OGXPY, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): An ADR, It is an oil and gas exploration and production company. Market cap at $8.67B, most recent closing price at $2.7.
9. Sharp Corporation (SHCAY, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): An ADR. A Japan-based company mainly engaged in the manufacture and sale of electric telecommunication, electric and electronic equipment. Market cap at $1.98B, most recent price $1.80.
10. YPF S.A. (YPF, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the exploration, development, and production of crude oil, natural gas, and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) in Argentina. Market cap at $4.78B, most recent closing price at $12.15.YPF shares never really recovered after the Argentina nationalized the assets, devastating shareholders.
Written by Chris Lau. To interact and discuss these picks with users, attach your watch list or portfolio to your friends on Kapitall. Message the author. He is ranked sixth (by points) on the all-time leaderboard. The leaderboard is located on your score icon -> Leaderboard. Members on Kapitall earn free points, and even more points with every Kapitall Generation trade. These points may be redeemed for goods at the Kapitall store.
Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, Filings
- Molycorp, Inc. (MCP, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Hillshire Brands Company (HSH, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- ITT Corporation (ITT, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Rovi Corporation (ROVI, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Deckers Outdoor Corp. (DECK, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc. (GMCR, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Alpha Natural Resources, Inc. (ANR, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- OGX Petroleo e Gas Participacoes SA (OGXPY, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Sharp Corporation (SHCAY, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- YPF S.A. (YPF, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
New to Kapitall?
1. New to the site? Click here to register for a free account, and gain access to more tools and data
2. Looking for more investing ideas like this? Click here to sign up for your free copy of Kapitall Weekly
3. Follow us on SeekingAlpha, Motley Fool, Nasdaq and Twitter